Schneeflocken

welterweights.Romero said he doesnt blame Bisping for

in So funktioniert das Forum 19.04.2019 05:52
von corse178 | 1.906 Beiträge

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar didnt mention either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton by name, but the presidential election was on his mind when he came to Harvard on Saturday to talk to the players on the Crimson basketball team.Nor did the Basketball Hall of Famer need to cite Colin Kaepernick by name when he said current sports stars were getting their baptism in social movements.Im glad to see that the younger athletes are concerned and saying something about it. Thats how we solve things, Abdul-Jabbar told reporters before meeting with the players.The Founding Fathers gave us a great method. But it requires us to listen, and to inform others of our ideas in a polite and understanding way. They have a ways to go.Wearing a Harvard cap and sweatshirt, Abdul-Jabbar ducked his head to get through the door of the conference room overlooking the schools 113-year-old football stadium. Soon he would be joined by the players -- all of them born long after he scored the last of his NBA record 38,387 points.Settling into a chair in front of a fireplace, his latest book on the table in front of him, Abdul-Jabbar said he felt compelled to speak out about a political climate with an emphasis on anger and division.Theres a certain feeling of alarm among segments of our population because the skin color of the country has gotten a little bit darker over the past 20 or 30 years. And that has caused alarm for some people, he said. People of color are patriotic Americans in the same way that white people are.Abdul-Jabbar said it will be difficult to make progress on the countrys issues when the two sides arent listening to each other. A battle like this is not being waged with facts. That bothers me, he said. We should be able to agree on what the facts are.A student at UCLA in the late 1960s, Abdul-Jabbar lived through the Civil Rights movement and said he tried to follow the example set by Muhammad Ali, who was stripped of his title for refusing induction into the Vietnam War. Abdul-Jabbar refused to play on the 1968 Olympic basketball team, saying the country didnt represent him.Kaepernick made similar comments when he refused to stand for the national anthem before NFL games, a protest that renewed the debate on race.Its not easy, trying to motivate people, especially on something as politically volatile as these issues are. People being shot in the street; its a very emotional and a very intense subject, Abdul-Jabbar said. Im sure hes finding that out. But the fact that hes persisting with it, Ive got to give him credit for it.Abdul-Jabbar also answered questions about his latest book, Writings on the Wall; Searching for a New Equality Beyond Black and White, a series of political essays from the perspective of an athlete, African-American and Muslim. He spoke about the current NBA, which has moved away from centers who played the position like him in favor of 3-point-shooting big men.The three-point shot isnt the answer to everything, he said. Everybody thought that small ball was going to dominate. You saw what happened to Golden State when they lost Andrew Bogut: They couldnt compete. So big guys still have a prominence in the game, and a place in the game that has not been totally eliminated.Abdul-Jabbar said he never regretted finishing college; nor was he tempted by a reported $1 million offer to join the Harlem Globetrotters. He encouraged college athletes -- not just at Harvard, but even at more traditional basketball powers -- to spend more time in school so they could learn the game.The longer that they stay here, the better that they will play, he said. If they stay in college for four years, thats the best way to achieve all that they want to achieve as basketball players. To try to jump to the NBA is not the way to go.It wasnt Abdul-Jabbars first trip to the Ivy League school on the Charles River: In 1972, already an NBA champion, he attended Harvard summer school to learn Arabic so he could learn more about his Muslim faith.It was a tough semester for me, but I learned it, he said, reporting that he got an A.With former Celtics Satch Sanders and M.L. Carr sitting in the back of the room, Abdul-Jabbar said the highlight of his career was beating the Celtics in Boston in the 1985 NBA Finals. At the time, the Lakers had never beaten the Celtics for the championship.Asked where he would rank his performance in the movie Airplane! among his accomplishments, Abdul-Jabbars competitive spirit emerged.Airplane! has done better than any movie that Shaquille (ONeal) has made, he said. Ill leave it at that. Cheap Running Shoes Australia . Thousands of Southern California fans enveloped the Trojans to celebrate an improbable win secured by an interim coach, an inconsistent kicker and a thin defence that wouldnt break. Wholesale Sports Shoes Australia . Halladay signed a one-day contract with the Toronto Blue Jays on Monday that allowed the veteran right-hander to retire as a member of team with which he broke into the majors and spent the bulk of his distinguished 16-year career. http://www.runningshoesaustraliawholesale.com/ . There are surprises among the Vezina candidates, but most of the others are standard top-tier performers, even if the two Hart Trophy runners-ups have never been quite as good as they have been through the first half of the season. Wholesale Running Shoes Australia . The Vikings announced Thursday that Priefer will be one of seven holdovers from the previous staff, along with offensive line coach Jeff Davidson, wide receivers coach George Stewart and others. Norv Turner will mark his 30th year of coaching in the NFL as the offensive co-ordinator, as widely reported for weeks, and George Edwards will be the defensive co-ordinator. Running Shoes Online Australia Sale .C. -- Todd Fiddler scored a hat trick, including the overtime goal, as the Prince George Cougars survived an 8-7 win against the Kamloops Blazers in Western Hockey League play Sunday. In a year that already has proved to be massive for the UFC, with one major card after another, UFC 205 on Nov. 12 at Madison Square Garden in New York looks to be the biggest and most important of them all. In honor of such a marquee event, ESPN.com is providing dedicated previews to all 13 bouts on the card, breaking down whats at stake and projecting who will win, along with quotes and statistics for each fighter.Middleweights: Chris Weidman (13-1) versus Yoel Romero (11-1)Odds as of Nov. 7: Weidman -165; Romero +145Dana Whites thoughtsWeidman and Romero is the No. 1 contender fight -- that totally makes sense. This is a big fight in New York. Weidman felt like he and [former UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta] had sort of gone down this road regarding his career and this fight -- and once Lorenzo was gone [due to the UFCs sale to WME-IMG earlier this year], it was my opinion the only right thing to do was to have him and Lorenzo meet and finish this thing. Thats what happened, and now Weidman has a big fight against a nasty middleweight in Romero.Whats at stake?UFC 205 not exactly what Weidman had in mind, but plenty of silver liningsIn recent years, Weidman put in hours and hours of work into the UFCs lobbying efforts to legalize MMA -- and he always did it with a general image in mind.Hed walk out as the main event in Madison Square Garden ... the middleweight champion of the world, fighting out of Long Island ... a belt around his waist and American flag draped around his back.As it turned out, Weidman almost didnt make it to the UFCs first card in Madison Square Garden. He was supposed to fight Luke Rockhold in a rematch for the 185-pound title in June but was forced to pull out due to a herniated disk in his neck.The first three doctors Weidman spoke to advised him to undergo fusion surgery, which would have placed him on a recovery timeline that would have made fighting on Nov. 12 in New York really tough. Weidman eventually underwent a less invasive procedure that required less recovery time but couldnt completely guarantee the pain and nerve issues he was experiencing wouldnt come back. Ultimately, the decision worked out perfectly.Literally, two weeks after surgery, I felt I could do everything again, Weidman said. Normally, I would have just done the fusion, but since its the neck, I kept educating myself and getting different opinions. If I would have done the fusion, the chances of me fighting in New York wouldve been really tough.Even after his health was ruled a nonissue, Weidman still wasnt officially added to the card until the 11th hour, as he and the UFC needed to sit down and hammer out certain aspects of his contract. It actually took an impromptu trip to Las Vegas to meet with the former owner of the UFC to finalize everything. With those two issues settled, Weidman is now focused on reclaiming the title he lost to Rockhold late last year.Im happy with it, you know? Weidman said. Bottom line is that everyone wants more money, no matter what their job is, and everyone always thinks theyre worth more. The UFC met me at a good spot, though, and Im happy.I am next in line. Im next, we all know that.ddddddddddddRomero has been inactive in 2016 thanks to a failed drug test last December. The Cuban Olympian originally faced a possibility of a two-year suspension, but he had that reduced to six months when he was able to prove the failure came from a tainted legal supplement.The situation came at a very inopportune time for Romero. The 39-year-old was firmly in title contention, coming off a decision win against Ronaldo Jacare Souza -- his ninth in a row.Based on the fact his suspension was reduced, Romero does feel vindicated in the matter -- although he says hes not taking any chances now after going through the ordeal.When they told me about the positive test, it took me about 10 minutes [to comprehend] because I still did not believe it, Romero said. Steroid use is a lie against God. People do not understand that.We are more careful now. I dont want to offend anybody, but this is what we will do. We will take our own water to New York. I will not take anything from anyone. I have to be this careful now.The current UFC champion, Michael Bisping, recently said he will not fight again until 2017. Prior to that announcement, Bisping had been angling for big-money fights against either Georges St-Pierre or Nick Diaz -- both of whom are considered welterweights.Romero said he doesnt blame Bisping for calling out smaller opponents, because he ultimately is confident with his place in the division. Especially with former champion Rockhold recently pulling out of a fight in November, Romero says a win over Weidman will absolutely lift him into title contention.This is a job, so you think about your money, Romero said. Bisping also thinks that. If you told me, Yoel, Im going to pay you $1 million to fight a shark in water, or Ill pay you $1 million to fight the shark out of water, Id say, Well, bring the shark out of the water, then. You understand? Bisping thinks the same way, but I am next in line. We all know that. I know that I will fight Michael Bisping.Key statsWeidman: 13-1 (9-1 UFC); first non-title fight since July 2012Weidman: 56 percent takedown accuracy, second highest among active UFC middleweightsRomero: 11-1 (7-0 UFC); nine of 11 wins by knockoutRomero: 78 percent takedown defense, fifth highest among active UFC middleweightsBreakdownOne of hardest fights on the card to predict, and close betting odds support that.Romero is a special athlete. His physical gifts stand out, even among the backdrop of his professional peers. His gas tank has always been something of a concern, but he manages that relatively well with extreme efficiency in his movement.Weidman will pressure and should have success doing so, but his guard needs to be up at all times. He made his name against another fluid, dangerous southpaw by the name of Anderson Silva, but Romero presents other things to think about with the Olympic wrestling background. Weidman has more ways to win, but hell always be one Romero left hand away from disaster.Prediction: Weidman TKO, third round.You make the call: ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Besucherzähler
Heute waren 4 Gäste online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 13455 Themen und 24999 Beiträge.

Besucherrekord: 204 Benutzer (09.11.2019 06:45).

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen | ©Xobor.de