Schneeflocken

year." Anthopoulos acknowledged the

in So funktioniert das Forum 11.10.2019 03:43
von jin shuiqian | 3.880 Beiträge

PARK CITY, Utah - Two weeks shy of his 36th birthday, "pretty shriveled up" and likely nearing the end of his competitive career, Bode Miller cant help but think of legacies. Not the five Olympic medals, the four world titles and whether he is, as most people think, the best male skier the United States has ever had. Thats for other people to decide. "I think theyre more titles for everyone else," Miller said on Monday at the U.S. Olympic Committee media summit. "Youre renting the title until somebody else takes it away. If youre too attached to it, youre going to be bummed out when your rental agreement runs out." No, what matters to him is the impact hes had on skiing. "Its not so much about my legacy as it is about ski racing in general. Ski racing deserves what you can give to it," he said. "Its been the love of my life up until now." Even if its been, to the outside world, something of a tortured relationship. Miller was just 20 when he made his first Olympic team in 1998, too inexperienced even to know what he didnt know. He remembers feeling confident when he stepped into the starting gate, only to get through 15 gates before sailing off the course. By the time he reached the bottom — cartwheeling across the finish line — the Japanese fans greeted him with "raucous applause." "In 98, I was basically throwing the dice," he said. By the time the Turin Olympics rolled around, Miller was skiings biggest star. Like La Bomba and the Herminator before him, his success on the slopes — he won four world titles from 2003 to 2005, and claimed his first overall World Cup title in 2005 — was surpassed only by his larger-than-life personality off them. Raised in rural New Hampshire, he is brash, unconventional and free-spirited. (While most other athletes wore sneakers or boots Monday, Miller sported aqua blue flip-flops.) But the very traits that make him so appealing also were his undoing. Disdainful of the goal-oriented nature of Olympic sports — to say nothing of the celebrity culture that goes with them — Miller found trouble at every turn in Turin. He made waves by refusing to live in the athletes village. He said he had mixed feelings about the U.S. Ski Teams "Best in the World" motto, saying the organization needed to put as much into it as the skiers did. And after all those expectations, he didnt medal, failing even to finish in three of his events. Later, he brushed off criticism of his failure, saying hed managed to "party and socialize at an Olympic level." "Dealing with those kind of tough situations, its obviously part of growing and being a grown-up," Miller said. "When youre under the magnifying glass like that, theres no way to really judge yourself too harshly in hindsight. Obviously, I could have said things differently, I could have done things differently. A lot of other people could have done things differently, too. "I had chances to win, I was prepared. I dont think I did anything dramatically as evil as it was portrayed. But I think thats part of being under the microscope that way, and Im fully capable of dealing with it. It didnt really ruffle me as bad as I think a lot of people would have expected. I just dont seem to get bothered by that stuff that much." Four years later, skiing had a new star in Lindsey Vonn. But the spotlight found Miller once again, this time for all the right reasons. He won a medal of every colour at the Vancouver Olympics, including a gold in the super combined. That gave him a total of five Olympic medals, more than any other U.S. skier. Miller won his 33rd World Cup title, in the downhill at Beaver Creek, in December 2011. But he had microfracture surgery on his left knee in February 2012 and wound up missing the entire 2012-13 season. The break re-energized him, giving him a chance to spend time with his wife and kids. "Being away from the sport was really healthy for me," Miller said. "Ive been in it so long with so little time away that I was definitely taxed ... to a point that I was getting frustrated at times. The fact is, if youre going to do it, the process deserves better than that. Now I think Im in a place where I can participate fully, and not put as much strain on myself." Miller accompanied the rest of the U.S. team to Portillo, Chile, and said his knee feels "perfect" as he readies for his return to competition this month. Asked about his expectations for Sochi, Miller said he intends to "kick (butt)" in what is almost certainly his last Olympics. "Everyone looks for these big epiphanies," he said. "Ive spent lot of time and energy being a ski racer. Ive earned the right to compete at a high level and Ive spent a lot of pain and a lot of energy trying to develop these skills. The Olympics, to me, is just a great opportunity to enjoy that. "Its a perishable process, being a ski racer. Until youre all rotten or shriveled up, you should keep going. Im pretty shriveled up, but Im not all rotten. Not yet." Stitched College Jerseys . It was a day that saw England slump off a World Cup field once again battered and bruised. This time there was no red card to wonder about, no goalkeeping error or individual mistake. They were thoroughly beaten by something they have nothing of – genuine world class ability. Wholesale College Jerseys .Pete Morelli said the back judge threw a flag on Cowboys linebacker Anthony Hitchens on a pass to Lions tight end Brandon Pettigrew in Dallas 24-20 wild-card win Sunday. But the head linesman said there wasnt enough contact and that Hitchens was face-guarding, which isnt a penalty in the NFL. https://www.fakecollegejerseys.com/. The thinking at the time was Clowney could have already been promised he would be selected first overall by the Houston Texans, therefore negating any need to meet with any other teams. The plot took another twist this week. Fake College Jerseys . The Thornhill, Ont., native, who is ranked 11th in the world, said hed hoped he would be ready when Canada begins its World Group first-round tie against Japan in Tokyo on Friday. Custom College Jerseys .J. -- Omar Cummings helped the Houston Dynamo advance to the MLS Eastern Conference finals.DUNEDIN, Fla. -- Alex Anthopoulos spoke volumes with what he didnt say on right-hander Ervin Santana. The Blue Jays had been in the mix for the former Kansas City Royal with several Toronto players making a public plea to sign the 33-year-old former all-star. But Santana, a Dominican who counts several Jays as friends, elected instead to sign with the injury-ravaged Atlanta Braves. "I probably dont want to comment on how close I felt we got or didnt get," the Blue Jays general manager said Wednesday. Anthopoulos deflected many questions on Santana, leaving the impression he was not happy with the way the process had gone. Asked if he felt used, he said "No, no. But (thats) probably the only thing Im going to say." Money and terms apparently werent factors in Santanas decision to sign with Atlanta. "He had a strong desire to pitch in the NL and there was no way to compete with that," said Anthopoulos, who is also Torontos senior vice-president of baseball operations. Was that always the case, he was asked? "Very good question," Anthopoulos replied, before suggesting it was better directed at the pitchers camp. However the Jays GM did say he was told "recently" of that strong NL interest. Such hints aside, Anthopoulos was clearly looking to take the high road, "Obviously its done. He made his decision. Hes in Atlanta. Great signing for them. I wish him the best. Sorry it didnt work out with us." Certainly the NL East, home to the .sub-500 Miami Marlins, New York Mets and Philadelphia Phillies last season, might seem more hospitable than the thorny AL East. Especially when Santana is eligible for free agency again after this season. Santana has spent his entire career in the American League, with eight seasons as a Los Angeles Angel before being traded to the Royals in 2013. His career record is 105-90 with a 4.19 ERA. He became a free agent after turning down a US$14.1-million qualifying one-year offer from the Royals. Its the same deal he accepted from the Braves and likely in the same ballpark as the Jays offer. Minnesota reportedly tendered a thrree-year offer but at a lesser annual rate.dddddddddddd Unlike last off-season, the Jays have been quiet in player acquisitions. So the Santana snub stands front and centre. Anthopoulos said everyone in the organization wanted Santana to become a Jay. "I think we all feel we did everything we could," he added. With Josh Johnson gone and question-marks over J.A. Happ and Ricky Romero, the Jays have been looking to bolster a starting rotation that features R.A. Dickey, Mark Buehrle and Brandon Morrow. Asked about the paucity of additions, Anthopoulos instead pointed to the healthy return of players like outfielder Melky Cabrera and pitcher Drew Hutchison. "We think Drews got a chance to be outstanding and hes put himself in a great position to make this club. I think if he does make this club, hes got a chance to have a tremendous year." Anthopoulos acknowledged the questions from fans and other observers. "All that being said, I can understand skepticism that comes with the job, the performance we had on the field last year. I think we will show how good we are when we break (spring training). I think the guys that we have tremendous upside but we would have loved to add someone just to have depth." "We werent going to force a deal and do things we really didnt believe in just to make a splash," he added. The GM said the Jays were "extremely close" to landing another starting pitcher in a trade only to see it not happen. He did not provide any other details. Bottom line, he says, the Jays like their talent but know it lacks seasoning in some quarters. So the search continues for that experience. NOTES -- Happ, whose spring training progress has been delayed by back problems, threw a side session Tuesday and "everything felt good," according to manager John Gibbons. Closer Casey Janssen, who has had soreness in his shoulder, was scheduled to throw a side session Wednesday. Dustin McGowan is also back after losing eight pounds to the same stomach bug that hit fellow pitcher Sergio Santos. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Besucherzähler
Heute waren 2 Gäste online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 13456 Themen und 25000 Beiträge.

Besucherrekord: 204 Benutzer (09.11.2019 06:45).

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen | ©Xobor.de